View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

I think the leftover actuators I had laying around are a bit too big, I think some shorter stroke would be better and yes joe I would go with a little less power, would rather have it stall or force retract than anything. The thumb and harvester attachment will most likely end up being rain day work when digging in summer is getting routine. .

Joe, the push-lock fittings are great in most applications. Some things to consider. Correct size, angle of hose force, and in my opinion these fittings should have a hard insert to go inside the tube about 1/8" to keep consistent pressure on seal. But the small size doesn't really allow that. Most of the fittings I have been using are only rated for 80~100psi but I've been using them in 300psi range. And the way they work is a tooth washer is on a lock angle to prevent tube from backing out. An o ring is all that makes the pressure seal. To remove the tube all you are doing is releasing the lock washer/spring (whatever ya want to call it). If you got a leaker might just as well replace fitting, the seal may be damaged. BUT, a big issue is to make sure the hose is cut square and sharp edges are bad. 99% of the time just using wire cutters and stuffing it in the hole works. I cut with razor blade and sometimes run through a lighter flame. (Don't want to heat to the point of balling the ends). Or better yet maybe a heat gun. As far a locking , yup just push in don't worry about having to pull to lock, it will lock. A good idea is to hold hose next to fitting and eye about where hose should bottom out. Then you have a better idea if hose has been fully inserted. On the 1:1 size fittings I use on small home waterline repair jobs I will so,entires run into a fitting/tube that is a real bugger to seat. And had a situation where a whole 100' roll of waterline had a defect in outside (it had a very small lateral groove or scratch) and couldn't use those type of fittings. They would leak. So another thing to consider if a small scratch or nick, cut on outside of tube it may leak. Uggg enough hoseing around I'm heading to the garage!!! My coffee got cold!!