Thread: Classy Shak
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Classy Shak

Hello All,

I got a little work done on the steps tonight and while sitting here watching glue dry I noticed something missing under the hood, so I handled that problem as well..

First the steps

Notice that I also got the pilot holes drilled for the lights. I made the light bars for the sleeper tonight as well. I will get pictures of them later when I get the holes drilled for the led's.

The top of the step is exactly half way between the bottom of the door and the running boards. The steps are 21" scale inches wide by 8.75" deep.

Now on to the under hood problem. Every day at least twice I either have to say, or hear my students say during their pre-trip, "I am going to check my steering column, my steering gear box, my pitman arm, drag link, and tie-rods.

Someone had mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe it was Nate, that he would like to see a bunch of things. One of the things he mentioned was a functioning steering wheel.

Well I will have one for sure now, the hard part is finished.

I made a functional steering gear box. I took some 3/8 styrene tube, then went down to the forgotten RR stuff in the basement and found my spare locomotive worm drives. Now of course if you know how these drives work, you can only turn the worm gear side, so because of this I have the worm gear attaching to the pitman arm so that when I turn the truck the steering wheel will turn a bit.

~Mike~