View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PMD 4:1 brand new split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
OK this final pick says a lot - they just took a little too much away from the bearing cap - a nice fillet would have been prime. Un fortunately the bearing is actaly outside the case for the most part. - I suppose you could take a new plate, machine in a countersink to hold the bearing and then bolt to the outer of the existing housing - in all it would look like crap though.

I think Dn's idea of welding ot back together is best - really thin material though - it would be difficult even for an experienced welder.

I know this sounds bad - but what about some 2 part epoxy like JB weld - you could pretty much lay a nice fillet around the housing and the bearing cup.

Izzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
It's definitely a defect. Simply put, the milling process removed to much material around the boss. I wouldn't even try fixing it. Just be honest and show Ric the photos. I'm sure he'll take care of you.

Welding or JB weld is not going to be the answer. Even if you do pull that off, the shaft alignment could easily be off, and that will cause other problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
I'm gona stick my neck out here and my $.02 now that I see better pics I see a small design flaw. To much material is removed from the bearing bore on the out side of the case . could be fixed real easy withe a simple tool change in the machining process with a .125" radi around the bearing bore or don't go so deep on the counter bore . I wouldn't trust any glues or welding in that area it's to critical for alignment . send for a replacement .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I'm pretty sure that welding it would just warp the bearing bore and it would no longer fit without remachining it. Much easier to get a new piece in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalelover View Post
Welding is def a last option because its such a critical alignment and so thin you'd have to be a super experienced welder to get it aligned correctly and not burn through it.

As IH said earlier I think it was machined to thin as well but didn't want to put my neck out there, seeing as I'm still a novice machinist compared to him but if he says so then I'd have to agree, for the reasons I mentioned in the earlier post about the force that's put on it. it id not a ton but enough that I'd have left a thicker base area right at the plate itself if not the entire bearing cap to avoid fatiguing the metal.

--Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Definitely a defect in machining, just as Steve described it -> free replacement shipping included, nothing but!!!

Let us know how it turns out for you.
OK, so the consensus is don't try to fix it. Replace the housing. I'll talk to Ric tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for all the input and information.