View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's the diff ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
Just awesome stuff Mario...I as a heavy truck/diesel mechanic really appreciate seeing this stuff since the most intricate parts of heavy equipmt repairs I get to do is put a track back on or repair a bad hydraulic line or hose . Maybe a starter or a coolant leak. But I never really get to tear into our loaders or dozers like this. Great stuff bud, thanks for sharing it with us.
Thanks Nick. Glad you like seeing this stuff. I figured not everyone has the chance or lives in the right area to see things like a 992 loader and figured id share with my extended family
I wish this forum and ipads were around back in 2001. I spent 2 weeks sailing the great lakes on a 700ft laker as I rebuilt a gen set engine. the main propulsion engine was massive and I was in awe for the entire time on board! I just couldn't get over the size and power! It was a 5 cyl Sultzer engine. 5,000 hp and three decks high! Max rpm is 120!
I know I took pictures with an actual camera.... ya know, the type where you actually had to tke the film roll out and send it to get developed. if I find them ill scan and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
No doubt the specialized shop you work at is one that is few & far between. How far away do you have components and whole machines coming from for partial & complete rebuilds?
the exchange component business is huge now and has radically changed how we do business. We can get customer machines back up and running way faster than ever before. This current 992 midlife rebuild is a guaranteed 7 day turnaround. That's replace engine,rad, torque, tranny, diffs, final drives and powertrain hoses and back to work on the 8th day!

the dealership created a specific division to rebuild components called Reman. It is based in Toronto so we can get anything from an engine, tranny or hyd pump overnight, ready to go. due to the major mining demand there is now another Reman facility in Thunder Bay which has a main focus on underground equipment components.

our core business here in Sault Ste Marie is of course, the steel plant and the nearby gold mines 5 hrs away. The furthest place we have sourced equipment from is Peru. The company bought over 25 used machines from a underground iron mine and shipped to us and Sudbury for rebuild. At one point it was a 1 yr wait before delivery after purchasing a new underground scoop. we could rebuild a scoop in less than 3 months. Another way to meet customer demands.

gonna toot my company horn one more time.... we are the worlds largest CAT dealer in a geographical sense. The dealership covers from the Canadian east coast all the way to Manitoba and runs as far north as the territories .

as great as Reman is for our customers, there is a negative side to this type of approach. our new younger mechanics are becoming " robot parts changers" . When I was young we rebuilt everything in house. gave you a chance to open up, see what things looked like and helped understand how things work. nowdays nothing is opened up and repaired, just replace.

I don't want to place every young up coming mechanic under the same stigma but I see a major lack of troubleshooting skills in the next generation. how can you troubleshoot something you don't even know how it looks and works inside?

I apologize for my rant. Joe asked and that got me going!