View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 04:24 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish 3D printed DOT "Construction Ahead" sign display

Was a bit nervous about the battery right by the power wires, so the switches are soldered and then heatshrinked (heatshrunk?) over each wire ... and then heatshrunkedified over the whole thing Just To Be Sure.

Had fun with the wheels. CAD'ing them up was a headache, but I wanted a boring wagon wheel as opposed to the shiny stylish stuff you see so often these days. Eventually managed these:

inset for the lock nut up front, just big enough for a 7mm nutdriver or a four-way, and the usual 12mm hex in the back (the Tamiya-style trailer axle still has a drive hex, even though it's not driven ..shrug.. ). Previously I've printed "lugs" in a second color, which works well in larger sizes. This time they're kinda small, so I opted to just do holes, seen there, and then self-tapping screws for the "lugs":

And ugh, the inside of that wheel needs more filing!

One of these days I may draw up and print a boot for it, as I see the real DOT ones with boots on them now and again. (More often you see them with the wheels off when in use. I understand that folks might steal the wheels, but why steal a DOT trailer? ..shrug.. )

As with most of my builds, it's a fun exercise in CAD work and an exercise in frustration trying to make it actually come out... but a conversation piece regardless.

-- A

Last edited by dremu; 06-22-2021 at 04:31 PM.