View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

I started working on my own rear suspension this afternoon. I stole Wolfgang's idea and made up some springs out of a garden rake. After Wolfgang mentioned this I went and talked to my aunt and uncle that have a landscaping business. I now have plenty of broken rakes for spring making!...

Once the springs were done I made some new frame plates that lower the pivot point of the springs and the torque arms. I still need to make new torque arms to finish things up but it now has more travel(also ditched the shocks) and is stiff enough to carry a load without bottoming out completely but still flexes some. I may install a spacer between the pivot and leaves to lower the back of the truck 1/8" but I will see what happens when I make the new torque arms. Once I get that sorted out I will add some stops to the frame. This project has become WAY bigger than what I intended in the beginning. This hobby is not helping me become more of a relaxed, calm person. It's making me crazier than I already was!lol

Last edited by RCP57; 04-11-2014 at 09:46 PM.