View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flintlock, Indiana. A growing small town

I've been updating op as i go with projects in-work. There are a few more things going on in the background.

I got a WPL B1 Bobbed M35 truck, scale was wrong. More 1/18

Started this with it's guts.

Bought a custom Cadillac Miller-Meteor Futura Duplex, scale was wrong, more 1/20. Black is 1/18.

Ok fine, what actually IS scaled right, and is strange enough for me?

Structo fire ladder tiller truck. I believe 1962-64 International

It's rough, and missing some stuff like ladders and tiller seat.

If anyone decides they need to RESTRING a rope extension ladder like this without directions: brush up on new swear words and grab a beer! It consists of a cross-drilled crank, a bushing at top of main ladder, a bushing at bottom of extension ladder. Also some magic.

Start by threading plenty of string through the crank.
- - Optional tie knot on either side of crank holes so rope can't drift.
Run one end up the ladder, at the last rung drop below and come up through the tip bushing, then back along the top to the extension bushing and tie off.
Set extension section at full out, take out slack on the Extend rope at the crank.
Making sure the extend rope wraps on the side of crank opposite the bushing on extension, slowly retract the ladder.
Unspool the free end of rope back off crank. It's now the Retract rope.
Run the Retract rope up to the bushing on the extension and tie off.
Ops check. Should go cranky in and out between the limits you set it at.

I don't really care for parts of the trailer design, the kingpin is the pivot for ladder slew. I'm not seeing an easy method to improve functionality to let it rotate out over a structure. Elevation and extend don't seem like they'd pose too much issue.

I probably should have tried to find a Tonka Suburban Fire, or Doepke Pumper, or Doepke Aerial ladder, but... tillers are cool!
I really want to have the tiller steering on this trailer operate. It looks highly frustrating to learn, and is amazing watching the professionals at work.

1960s Structo International vs 1954 Tonka ford semi

I'd like to convert 1 semi tractor as a do everything rig, and try to pick up several other types of trailers. I already have a box. I've see car haulers, livestock, flatbeds.

Last edited by frizzen; 08-04-2018 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Extension ladders. And such. As it were.