View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 05:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wanco vertical mast arrow board

I missed that theres some interest and you're following so let's go build one instead of just a couple random updates.

LET'S GO SCREW UP SOME TRAFFIC!!!

The arrow board is 4x8 foot, at 1/14 scale is 3.4" by 6.8". I used 0.040" styrene.

I like using a dial caliper to do this lay out, use what you like just try to be exacting.

The center row has 7 leds, so mark the horizontal-center line the full length, then find center of that line. That's first hole everything is based on, then go 1" out from there on the horiz line on each side for next 3 leds on each side. So center, +1" +1" +1" last light to edge should be around 0.400"
Grab a square, make a line square in line with 2nd led from each outer side.
Mark 1" from center up and down on that line.
Split the distance between the hole you just marked and the outer led.
Drill for leds, poke them in holes. I like to keep same orientation anode/cathode so that it form bus-bars easier

I don't want to do the sequential light boards with cascade circuits or microcontrolers, if you do please tag on and extend this thread.

If you want all the lights to go on/off together like the more common board:
Wire the 3 center horizontal and both far outside leds together.
Wire the 4 leds on 'arms' of the arrow, and the opposite side 2nd from outside leds together
Do it again.

Now you can build the timer circuit and hook up the switches.
Power and ground out of the 555 go to center line(throw a resistor on power leg).
Tie both grounds on the directions into center circuit.
Tie power off the center circuit to the center of a 3 pos switch, each outer side of switch goes to power side of a direction circuit.

I think the real one uses 2" box tubing, but thats 0.142". BUT 1/8 brass stock at 0.125" is scaled to 1.75" box tubing. Close enough for me. I just didn't buy enough to be a meaningful update yet

Last edited by frizzen; 03-14-2020 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Confused myself