View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wanco vertical mast arrow board

It's not that bad, just go 1 connection at a time. It would look less complicated if i'd spent a bit longer doing hookups. Or color coded things better.

Make the board, put all the leds of a bus in facing same way so you can connect anode to anode, cathode to cathode. This way you really only have to insulate where it has anything crossing a bus.

All the buses are made in parallel. The arrow arms probably don't need the line to 2nd led opposite if you want to get lazy and save a few connections, but the real ones drop out the 2nd column center row light on the arrow side, this was easiest way i could think of.

Power comes off a 9v battery into the 555, the chip can be a little confusing, then chip output hits the center bus with ground, and power has a drop resistor. If you prefer solid, don't even worry about blinky circuit.

If you have a broken toy or old packaging from something that had an LED blinky light, you can save even more work by reusing the circuit.

I liked the 15 light board, it's most of what's here, and it's electrically easy to get the 3 patterns i usually see.. Unless you're feeling like a badass don't do the 25 led board that can do 12 patterns

This project started because a friend of mine ordered a bunch of components off ebay, gave me some, and i was trying to figure out how to use them. Got stuck in construction traffic...