View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 12:18 PM

trewq is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Tamiya bolt on reduction gear

Hello all,
I have to give good critics to the reduction gearbox that Doggy has built. And that is not just because I know him and he has taken my 3D printer away from me, but the actual printed gears do work well!

At the moment I am powering Scania R620 which has been bastardised a little to have 10mm more ground clearance and a plastic tub that acts like a halfpipe tipper (lol, my lil guy loves it!).

Having original tamiya axles I have to say that the only big disadvantage of the rig is that it can't climb over difficult terrain uphill as both axles are having opened differentials. I'll post some videos later.

The positive ones are already mentioned, but I'll repeat my favourite ones:
- running stock motor (saves you few bucks doesn't it)
- running stock motor on MFC, without fearing of burning the MFC
- all sounds match the motion of the rig. Previously I've been running Hobbywing 21.5T & Justock ESC but that had problems with sound sync.
- the reduction being installed after the gearbox unloads the gearbox off the drive torque, where the motor mounted reductions load the gearbox much more than the proposed solution. That said, you still shouldn't shift gears under load.
- the rig has lots of power now
- the rig can brake well when loaded heavy

I've also tried a 80T motor from RC4WD, but that was a huge disappointment as this motor has literally no power!

So, with this post, I'm going back to the shop.

Cheers all!

Last edited by trewq; 06-12-2016 at 12:21 PM.