View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Progress Thread - 8750 Marion Dragline

Nice to see another cable machine here. My favorite.
Look over my 9W build and you will see just about all you need to know on how to power one. Look towards ebay for motors drives master switches slip rings ect. I would have spent way more if I couldn't have obtained my parts from ebay. There was lots of time and money spent with trial and error too. My system for 90VDC motors works very well and never gives any problems. I really like the 4 quadrant regenerative drive system. Read up on that. I don't know much about the smaller voltage motors. I think the 4Q drives can be bought from one of the robot parts suppliers but may cost more than the 90V ones listed practically a dime a dozen on ebay. There is tons of cheap motor drives out there for that. But remember, the smaller voltages draw more current so a heavy duty slip-ring will be needed. You may need to add flywheels on the smaller motors too to duplicate the dynamics of the motions so you don't end up with a big pendulum swinging back and forth.
I get some time, I'll take some pictures of my collection of master switches that will work.