Thread: Paint Removal
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paint Removal

Gotta agree with the Easy Off.

The pump bottle stuff also works as well as the can, just don't try the low-odor stuff, its the stinky chem that does the trick!

Castrol SuperClean in the purple pump bottle also does the trick, think it has the same chem.

Oh, it reeks, so try to spray/soak in a sealable container, like a Rubbermaid bin or no-name equivalent, or do it outside. Wear gloves, it dries your hand something nasty.

Save the bottom-drainage to use for brush-dip for spot-scrubbing. A soft toothbrush is a dream, and an old credit card/gift card is great for a scraper!

You only need about an hour. Then scrub off as much as ye can, and do it again, until ya get it all off. Wash REALLY well after (I climb in a shower and and scrub her a ~few~ times)

Beware your chrome though, as it will strip that off too. It will also frost your clear lenses and any polycarbonate (like normal R/C bodies) Do ~NOT~ ever put aluminum parts in, as the chem will cause it to get pitted. Other metals are ok (used to use Easy Off to strip lead mini's). I dunked 'em in the tall glass babybottles! Clearcoats, paint AND primers came off.

PS: both chems work with enamel, acrylic, that nasty polycarbonate paint, and even clearcoats. I haven't found a paint it won't strip yet.

As for brake fluid, read the lable, its NOT to go down the sink/toilet, where Easy Off & Castrol SuperClean CAN. AKA, no hazardous waste issues!

WhiteWolf
safe 'striping' for over almost 3 decades!