View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 07:12 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish scratch forklift

Along with trucks, I have a thing for trailers, so I thought I should make a smaller utility trailer to carry the forklift. Turns out that the scale doesn't remotely work, so a trailer for it is actually wider and dang near as long as the trailer for the PLS truck. Unfortunately it doesn't have enough strength to put the tines into the back of a trailer and lift, like the 1:1's that piggyback onto a trailer, so I'm left doing a ramp trailer. Shucks, another project.

Regulatory teaser:

And the plan:

My OpenSCAD skills are increasing, thankfully, and now include spitting out a BOM for non-printed parts. That's especially handy for this one as it's mostly fabbed.

It's just your basic lawn-type utility trailer, albeit scaled wrong. Had to be this big to fit the forklift inside, so ..shrug.. we call it artistic license.

The frame is welded steel (1/2" x 1/8" angle, so it's not as heavy as you'd think)

Center on the cutting board. Upper left is not a teaser of my 1:10 M1070 HET truck nor is the upper right a teaser of its M1000 trailer. Me, have too many projects going at once?

Then some 1/8" rod is bent along the sides to form the walls. Floor and walls are thin plywood ("luan") I had left over from something else, 3mm I think. The floor boards are actually cut to individual boards, about resembling 2x12"s at scale. That was about as narrow as I could cut on my tablesaw without risking loss of digits.

Fenders were half printed (blue) due to the stupid shape, and then the white reinforcement along the bottom is just styrene strip.

The suspension is Chinesium leaf springs from Fleabay. My one regret is that I couldn't place the tandem closer together; having them this far apart really kills the turn radius. But even though the spring hangers are only 10mm or so wide, there was just no way to interleave them -- we'll see why in a bit.

Last edited by dremu; 08-29-2021 at 05:44 PM.