View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 04:15 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish scratch forklift

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycuda View Post
Thanks for the heads up on Chrome - seeing all the pics now.
Nice work on the forklift and trailer!

Ken
Thanks for the good words, and good that the pix come through. I find a pic really is worth a kiloword, and it's soo much easier to explain when you can SEE, as opposed to trying to follow my meandering descriptions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Pics work for me.

Great looking fork!
I love the looks of that side-shift mechanism, i don't think i'd seen anybody actually make one work yet. I'm kinda suprised you make the lift stages seperately controlled instead of keyed together. Three wheeled should get you a lot more maneuverable than possible with four.

To be fair, a real forklift is a bit easier to run than an RC model. Or atleast my rc model Yale vs real Yales, Hysters, Komatsus... Although i've wondered how it'd be to run one from an FPV rig mounted in the seat.

Sweet looking utility trailer, i really like how that's setup. Lighting controller looks like a really slick setup.

Cool tractor, can't wait for a thread on it too.
Wrt keying the lift stages, I suppose I could. However, one is an absolute position and the other a relative direction, if that makes sense. The actuator is 1000 at the bottom, 1500 in the middle, 2000 at the top, that's absolute and easy to grok. But the belt motor is just up/down, ie <1500 is down and >1500 is up, and it has no limits nor any sense of where it is in its travel. I couldn't match, then, a position from the controller to any specific place for the belt.

IMO this is one of those places where shortcuts vs the 1:1's are to be expected, at least to avoid going insane. Trying to fit a rotary shaft encoder or some other sensor to determine the belt location in that tiny space would be crazy-making And on that particular project I was trying to avoid electronic complexity. It did later end up with one Arduino, but only because I bought cheap winch servos that chattered and didn't center well. The Arduino allowed me to wrangle them for like $5 and some re-wiring, versus buying a set of nice winch servos (much more $$) and having to tear down and reassemble the whole thing (lots of time.)

I debated doing four wheels instead of three, but either didn't have a spare steering axle, or just felt like doing something different, I forget. Mounting that skinny toy robot tire straight to a servo arm was simple, and sometimes, Simple Is Good, right?

Wrt the trailer, thanks. The scale being off bugs me more than I'd like, but it'd be useless if it couldn't carry the fork and the tractor. Guess I'm just between a rock and a hard place. I'm also annoyed because it looked just fine in the CAD, and it wasn't until I had it mostly assembled and sat it next to the truck that I realized how outsize it was.

Still, it's just a toy, even if a toy for a big boy

Wrt the tractor, as mentioned I can't take much credit for it, but I guess it's like a conversion, just a conversion of somebody else's 3D print project. See https://rctruckandconstruction.com/s...d.php?p=170594

Last edited by dremu; 04-18-2021 at 05:49 PM.