View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 04:34 AM
Green Horn

SteinHDan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skeeters contracting services

Hi Skeeter!

Your two printing problems are very common problems, but they can be fixed. One is actually very easy to fix :-)

Overhangs drooping:
- The 3D-printer cannot put molten plastic in thin air. It will need some support to build on. But you don't need to add it yourself. Your 3D-printing software can do this for you. It will create a scaffolding that can easily be broken away when the part has finished. I guess you have a "Add supports", "Automatic supports" or an option like that in the software. That takes care of that problem.

Part pulls up in the corners:
- This is the most common problem of this generation of 3D printers IMHO. Getting the first layer of plastic to stick to the build plate is crucial. If it lifts in the corners, that's only going to worsen as you go up (as you can see from your part).
There are many ways to fix this, or combinations of ways:

- A surefire solution is to print with a raft. Again, this is most likely an option in your 3D-printing software. When building the raft, the 3D-printer will use a lot of plastic to get a good grip on the platform. The only downside with a raft is that it takes longer to print, but it will most likely stick fine.

- Instead of the full raft, you could just print anchor pads in the corners. This is what I do most of the time. Something like a square or circle 20mm diameter, 1mm height pad and put it on the bed under the corner of the part so that it gives more surface that touches the bed in that corner.

- Moving the nozzle closer to the build plate: I would try this first. Calibrate with a thinner piece of cardboard / paper than you did before. That will make the nozzle closer to the bed. This will make the plastic stick better to the bed. You can move the nozzle closer until the part is very difficult to remove from the build plate. Then you are too close.

- Increasing the temperature (maybe even just on the first layer). Sometimes the hotter plastic sticks better to the bed.

- Slowing the speed (maybe even just on the first layer)

- If you have a heated build plate, try increasing the temperature.

- Adding hairspray, etc (many people do this, but I've never done that)

- Add a high-tack build plate sticker sheet, like BuildTak (you can buy it at Amazon for example).

.. and probably a lot of other ways. In you case, it looks like your problem could be solved by moving the nozzle closer to the bed or just enabling a raft.

Best regards,
Stein :-)

Last edited by SteinHDan; 08-29-2017 at 04:48 AM.