View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Quote:
I have a couple of questions for you steve-The towers on each side-will they have a bearing to actually support the walking shaft or will they be just cosmetic? About all those bolts-do you know how they drilled all those holes back in the 40"s? Did they have electric drills then? I remember using an electric drill in "1962" when working at a marine shop but I don't know when they first came out.
Not sure about portable drill time line but if everything was laid out in the shop correctly and punched then only minimal reaming would be needed.
Yes, the towers do support the bearings. Originally I was going to make the towers cosmetic when I started this years ago, I never envisioned being able to get next to the 1:1 machine and acquire all the drawings to boot so I'll be remachining the existing two bearings and inverting then like they're supposed to be but I want to tie it all together with some of the steel channel already in place so the tiny 0-80 bolts aren't stressed too much. 250# may stress them a bit.

Here are a couple screen shots of my full size elevations. I don't have the bearing completely detailed and no bolt or rivet holes drawn yet.

Last edited by 9W Monighan; 06-18-2012 at 01:17 PM.