Thread: All About LED's
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 12:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All About LED's

I'd like to add a couple of my favorite hacks into this.

If you've got a servo with stripped gears and a soldering iron, you have a remote control light switch! Rip it open, pull the board out, cut motor connections. Leave the radio pigtail alone, the pot can be replaced with a y bridge of 2.2k ohm resistors if you feel like it. Solder your resistor to a motor pad, one leg of the LED to the resistor, the other to the opposite motor pad. Done.

Hook up your new creation to a channel in your rx that gives both throws to a servo, lights should come on in one of the not center positions. tweak the pot to have lights off in center if you didn't make it a y-bridge. Cool, it works. Move it to a single throw channel, see if it still works, if not flip the led circuit at the motor pads.

Maybe i want to have one set of lights on, turn them off and another set turn on. Wire it opposite at the motor pads as the first circuit.

If you are working at normal RC recciever voltage(7.2v stick pack going into an ESC with a BEC for 4-6v output), a 150 ohm or greater LED will safely get your LED working. You won't get peak output, but it gets your unknown lights scavanged off something going without freeing the smoke. Also no math.

If you are running red and white leds together like head & tail lights. Make a red circuit and a white circuit. the red need a bit higher resistance or the whites won't work. So my 150 ohm goes on the whites, red gets something 200-400 ohm to start with.

I like micro servos since they break easy, are cheap, and someone you know has some broken ones. If you're going crazy with lights, use a bigger servo board since they work with more power. If you're going absolutely insane with lights, maybe that battle switch or a cheap esc is the way to go.

Last edited by frizzen; 10-04-2016 at 12:50 AM.