View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for advice on a milling machine.

Most of the manual mills (bridgeport type) will be 230 or 240 VAC 3 phase. Not a big deal but it will cost a few more dollars if you only have 1 phase power available. Some are 480 but can change a few wires in the motor and make them run on 240, some are straight 480 only which then would require a step up transformer

There are several ways to make it work.
1. A static phase converter. Typically have low HP ratings only, but are cheap. The ones I have used seemed to not give the full HP of the motor though.
2. A rotary phase converter. Just a 3 phase motor with some start circutry to start on 1 phase and then it acts as a generator for the 3rd phase. Can build the whole thing yourself with some plans available on the net, or as I did buy the start box prewired and source your own motor.
3. A Variable Frequency Drive. This is what I have on my manual mill. Need a slightly larger VFD then the mill motors HP rating and the VFD will create the 3rd phase. Also gives the added benefit of variable speed (I bought a cheaper belt head mill that made up for the price of the VFD and still have variable speed) Mine is capped at a min of 16hz and a max of 75hz, some simple math will give you the actual RPMS

4. Digital Phase converters from phase perfect. These are what I have for my CNC machinery. They work great but are costly (cheaper then running 3 phase power in from 2 miles away though)

Options 2 and 4 can be wired into a 3 phase load center to run multiple machines as long as the most you use at one time doesn't overload the capacity of the converters. Handy if you want to get any other 3 phase stuff in your shop as well.

Last edited by pugs; 10-13-2010 at 01:14 PM.