View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's the diff ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Mario, what kind of torque tools are you using for that 1400 lbs, a torque wrench and multiplier?
Seeing Mario's update, that's the 1st question I thought of too...

1998, me & the neighbor pulled the front diff from an Eaton axle that's in my Panther Steiger 325hp 4wd. Re-assembling the pinion into its housing, the nut needed to be torqued to 925ft-lbs. We used a Snap-On 5' long torque wrench capable of 600ft-lbs with a 3:1 multiplier. We stuck the handle of the multiplier in the tractor's draw pin hole, chained down the pinion housing to the drawbar & proceeded to get the nut to the 925ft-lbs setting. I still remember to this day how much the handle of the multiplier flexed & I was more than just a little scared that our jerry-rigging could come apart to kill us both.

I bought a Landoll field disc last yr, the blades are 5/16 width & unfortunately I hooked a big enough rock below the surface that I bent a few blades. The gangs are torqued to 1150ft-lbs... now I know what to ask when I search for a fix-it shop to make the repair someday.

Thanx for the thread Mario, I wondered how such high torques were achieved. Could you take a pic of the torque wrench you used? Curious to see what it looks like.

Joe