View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 03:33 PM

SteveDownSouth is on a distinguished road
Default New RC trucker from the UK

Hello, I'm new here, new to RC trucking and this is my first post.

I have a couple Tamiya 1/14 scale trucks that have been gathering dust in a dark corner of the room, but I'd now like to convert them to RC. I don't know where to start the story, so I'll start at the beginning.

A couple years ago an old girlfriend suggested instead of buying each other 'normal' Christmas presents we should buy something we've always wanted from our childhood but never got. I made a list of things, one of which was a Tamiya truck – I had always wanted one of those Toyota Hilux's with the proper chassis and gearbox.

Christmas day came and I saw the big box under the tree. When I opened it, it was not a Hilux, but a Scania! What I thought of as a truck was obviously not what she interpreted. Regardless, I was very grateful and started to build it. It took a while, but I was so impressed with the presence of the thing I bought another in the January sales. I didn't have the money or the space to convert them to RC so they were simply display models. If I had received a Hilux I could have taken it to the park...

Fast forward a couple years and I was looking for presents for my son. He's 6 and has had radio controlled toys since he was 4, but they have always been cheap toys, and when they break you just have to throw them away. This time, I thought I'd buy him a Tamiya kit so he could build it and replace any parts that get broken. He was chuffed.

That then got me thinking maybe I should convert my trucks from display models to RC models, and in the last few days I have been buying kit, and even ordered another truck, this time the fake Tamiya Actros from China. The one thing that annoyed me a little about the Tamiya trucks was the steering, which is even sloppier now that I have servos attached. I've made a bracket to move the steering servo closer to the steering mechanism, but the parts in the kit are not very good and I'd like to get some better ones if I knew where to find them.

So, my first in a long line of questions is what can be done about the sloppy steering?