View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Something new to rc

Sorta Dean... the neighbor on the other side of the fence, you should see his new 70 foot SeedMaster with 850bu seed cart! My drill cost about 1/3 what his did. He plants over 10,000ac every spring & has a lot more road miles between fields than I do.

I crop just over 3400ac... with 800ac winter wheat sowed last fall, that leaves 2600ac to do this spring

Depending on what crop I'm planting and the amount of fertilizer I'm using, last yr with 51 feet I was seeding 300 per day avg... although sometimes I'd peak 400ac in a day. The 1st 3hrs of my day is spent spraying two tank fills of glyphosate covering 400ac.

This new drill is 60 feet, nearly 20% bigger, but with laying down more seed/fert per pass, I'll defineitely need to fill cart atleast one more time in a day, which takes about an hour to do. I'm hoping I'll achieve 400ac avg over the duration... maybe peak 500ac in a day if I have more than a day's worth sprayed ahead so I can start right away seeding... but those are killer long days of 19 - 20hrs!

Excessive weather delays resulting in high stress with late May - early June planting is a great motivator though.

Currently, this is the next 6days of either cloud and/or rain.
http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/sk-11_metric_e.html

It's early yet... I'll sleep well for the next week while waiting for sunshine.

Joe