View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3D printing KH Body Attempt

Sp, Thanks man, Im trying..I wish i had a fraction of the skills to scratch build like some of the guys on here do and did like FGD. What a legend.....

Maybe by the weekend i should have more parts ready to assemble.

Joe, theres a killswitch for just such an emergency. The sucess rate for a print is around 95%. the occasional mishap us usually software related but once i figured out what causes some of the probs ive had iv been able to prevent them. Im pretty confident to leave it run unattended now.
Hours to get to where i am now as far as smoothness of the whole process...lol lots of late nights for the past few months...maybe 100 hrs of experience roughly.

I set up a wheel to print last night to play with this morning at work. Wanted to try some smoothing and painting to see what i could get.
Before and after Acetone dip.

with a primer and rustoleum metalic..not a fan i prefer Krylon alum better but this was all i had.

A Clearcoat removes the super metallicy look.

The picture doesnt do it any justice...it looks much better than it does in picture. Id prefer a flat clear finish..think it would look much better and closer to oxidized alum and hide the uneven surface which is cool with me because this truck is going to be a working class truck and a dump truck doesnt always look like a show truck.

And for those of you into the Garth Knight look.. again, a flat primer black would look better.