View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Steve-very nice as always! How did you drill accurately thru both pcs. of metal with the A-frame mounted at an angle. Or is this secret stuff?
Well PUGS is partly correct. Originally I drilled the big plates stacked together with a 1/4'' hole. But when I did that I forgot about the 3deg angle. When I fabricated the channels I didn't drill them. When I set this up,I located the outer hole with my Co-ax indicator then I plunged a 1/4'' endmill down to spot face the next layer (channel) and that made the plate hole oblong. Next I went in with a 7/32'' screw machine drill because I don't have a long center drill handy and drilled through the second and got a longer drill bit for the third. Next came a 15/64'' drill then the 1/4'' reamer. Finally I drilled everything out with a 9/32'' drill. I would have bored to the finish size of 9/32'' if I had a longer boring tool that would fit in a 1/4'' hole. I need to make some bushings that fit the hole and will have the a 1/4'' bore for the shaft yet to come.
All the diagonal bracing in the "A" frame is going to be real fun to figure out. Currently I'm going over my designs from 3yrs ago making sure where to place all the holes for them.
I'm also looking into the wire rope needed. I need a total of 240' of 7x19 3/64'' for the boom. One of the 4 pieces is 167' and that's a small problem. I found I guy on ebay with 100' coils,none longer cheap. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order from McMaster Carr now and it'll be around $215 instead of the $30 I checked at a local cable and sling co. near me and they couldn't get any either. They did have coated galvanized they use in race car parachutes I could have for next to nothing but too stiff and the OD slightly larger and won't fit in my sheaves.