View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tamiya bolt on reduction gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
My parts ar printed with 100% infill, so are as strong as material it self, and the design is what makes it strong not to snap or wobble. In this case, only thing that needs to be strong are the gears, and after testing them, only way they will fail is if they heat up too much. So they will melt before they snap. And I dont see how much you would have too pull for it to get worm enough to melt.
But I am waiting for a special more expensive material, designed for printing gears, so with that thing, it should be unbreakable. i will have to make few test videos asap.
Hmm, printing gears no tanks unless they're printed on the highest quality professional printer in sintered metal . How are you keeping a tight bearing bore in that printed resolution ? How is it for longevity . IMHO, home printed parts are good for cosmetics , but are prone to failure doo to the porosity in the microscopic structure . Parts machined,injection molded and cast have a consistent grain structure which is paramount in the parts strength . Yes, it looks "strong" with all the bulk around the bearing journals, but is it ? A good well placed single weld bead is in most cases stronger then multiple layered poor weld beads .

In short , I applaud your effort for one self . I would consider a different approach of manufacturing if you plan to sell .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.