View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 02:31 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ScaleART - Assembling a MAN TGX/XL 6x6 tractor & Trailer

Finishing the rear suspension. Not too detailed because it is very similar to the Arocs.

First the "A" frames that hold the axles in place.

When looking at the picture to decide which ones to post here, I discovered I made an error The "A" frames should be attached through the holes marked with an arrow. Now I have them were the center support for the rear fenders is supposed to go - DUH

Here is a difference with the regular suspension. The "A" frame is easier to attach to the axle. They only use a tube instead of the more complicated attachment of the leaf suspension. This probably because the air suspension is way stiffer and has less movement.

Next up is the track rods.

A bit of contradiction in the attached assembly sheet:

So first tried the 53 mm ... as you can see way to long. Would really torque the axles on the rubber parts

Also tried the recommended 49mm but at that length it still pushes the axles too hard. Ended up with 47mm

A perfect fit for all 4 positions.

The powder coating on the balljoints was too thick and made inserting them in the covering tube practically impossible. Reaming out the tube was a no go. The 3.5mm bit too small and the 4mm too big. So clamped a long M2 bolt in the drill and it as a lathe together with some files and sand paper to get rid of the powder coating.

After that no problems and soon everything bolted together.

Now just have to reposition the two "A" frames in the right position.