View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 07:03 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Something new to rc

Today's adventure, May 2nd (actually started yesterday without my involvement)... a used oil recycling plant is 3 miles north of me, the last 6 months they've been doing a major expansion/upgrade with no production, just all new construction. A zoom boom was traveling on the east side of their property on a high narrow road when the shoulder let go.

A kid that works there got his dad to come with a 140hp FWA to pull the zoom boom back on top... they short chained it, almost got it back on road when boom started to straighten out behind tractor & boom touched tractor tires. They stopped, lengthen chain a bit, try again, now zoom boom won't move!

I get a call, they ask if they can pull it down the embankment into my pasture... I said ok, not realizing exactly where they were, I should've went to look right away I got there an hour later to see what was going on to discover what a bigger wreck it turned into.

I headed out at 6am this morning with my 9390 to pull it out. 1st couple tries on a short rope down in the bottom couldn't budge it, spin out right away, HOLY $@*&!!!

Stretched out all the straps, chains, ropes that were on site... a couple of straps were 4"... starting pulling from good solid ground, 1st gear - low throttle... one of those 4" straps vaporized when it snapped, I was looking right at it, it seriously disappeared, I wish somebody was filming it, I've never seen a strap obliterate like that before.

I had my 6" 75000lbs strap & two 20t shackles with me... I went to town with the foreman to help shop for two 6" 100 000lbs straps & another 20t shackle,,, $900 total, back to the site.

Pulled him to the top of the hill to a good spot where they could cross the fence & get back on their property.

The embankment where it went off

Pics I took at noon today when I got back, still alot of snow. Forecast for the next week is single digits & maybe more snow on the weekend.

Joe