View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: gear reductions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Bo how do you like the HPI reduction? That's the one ive been looking at.
Well i've got a slow truck for sure and strong. Torque is insane......two of the mounting tabs on the gear case did not make it....gone. And the mounting holes need some grinding to make the motor/reduction fit a giant pinjong 27 T
Other than that it seems to work fine and not to much noise. One other thing is when you turn down the RPM before the gearbox the Noise is less and i don't think the gearbox like high rpm's anyway......things inside got a lot of play.
Of all different thing i tested i like the following combo the best when it comes to all around drivability. Not super expensive stuff. like Veroma gearbox etc.
Tamiya Gearbox 3 speed.
9 or 10 toth pinjong Hardened steel from Robinson Racing. (smaller than 9 toth eating the plastic gear quicker)
Transfer Case 2-1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRACTOR-TRA...19.m1438.l2649
This setup will give good speed in third gear and slow speed in first gear good for backing up.
I also use chain saw grease super sticky (the grease for the roller bearing in the sword) That lube good and make things less noisy. Again i think the HPI looks good but have to much gearing........it's a crawler thing.