Thread: RCP Compound
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RCP Compound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskybilt View Post
I know the weather can be an issue with your outside compound, but the room for expansion and imagination for the extra space has got to be keeping you awake!

I am watching and learning, and I plan on building in 1:10 scale. Some models I'm considering are the HET, Payhauler 350, and a D11T.
Yes I am fortunate to have a fair bit of outside space so it's the logical choice. The weather isn't usually too bad here either other than some rain in the winter. The only thing I wish I had was a bit of a natural slope. Hauling in yards of material just to make a slight grade on the road bed is a lot of work. It was fun getting to drive the old Euclid truck though.

Building in a larger scale is good and bad. Personally I like the bigger equipment but it isn't very common and that forces you to make nearly everything from scratch. It also makes things more difficult if you get together at a show where everyone else is running 1/14 and all of the display is setup for that. Building in 1/14 can be like cheating. You can buy almost anything imaginable and just bolt it together if you want to go that route. I do think that scratch building in 1/14 is more difficult than in 1/10 though. Given that I make all of my parts out of aluminum it is much harder to keep details when the pieces are so much smaller. If you choose to build a D11 in 1/10 that will be huge but the added size will probably make it easier to build. Just make sure you build some loading ramps along with it!

Last edited by RCP57; 05-08-2015 at 09:09 AM.