Thread: All About LED's
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: All About LED's

Hey John, glad this helped you out a little. So far I haven't gotten to the point of adding LEDs to my semi truck. Lots of other things to do first! But I have added LEDs to some of my other RC models, or have some in process. Non-semi truck models, so I just stick the LEDs in the light buckets, as they are intended to be.

With the big rigs, it seems you'd be just fine mounting the LEDs through a properly sized hole. 3mm or 5mm. Most LEDs are tappered, so they get tight as you insert them. A little dab of shoe goo, rubber cement, or something you can remove later is a good way to hold them sercure. Otherwise, you can try some small O-rings, which can sometimes be passed off as a rubber gasket, but I prefer the cleaner look of no O-rings. Been looking for some bezels to use, but it's hard to find something that looks the part. If you insert the LEDs into some thicker metal (cab skirts, for example) then they really don't need much support. For something thin, like styrene, or sheet metal, you can always make a backer plate with styrene, glue it to the location you need the support, and drill a hole through both pieces. My favorite method is to just rely on the tight fit of the LED, sized to the hole. It's the easiest and cleanest way to go. Sometimes, if you need the LED to seat deeper into the hole, you might need to sand the bottom of the LED's base, because some are tappered and get wider there.