View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 05:00 PM

crueby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat 340D Excavator build

Back on the excavator today - I already had some Octura flex cable that I considered for use to connect the gearmotors to the cylinders, but it was too thin and twisted up under load. So, got hold of some of the thicker version, at .187" diameter, That is able to take a much higher force without twisting in either direction, and is still flexible enough for the gentle bends that I need to get out of it. This stuff is very handy, can transmit power without the noise of universal joints. I made up a set of ends for it, enough for all four cylinders, that have setscrews for the cable and the cylinder/motor shafts. Here is one set in place with one motor and cylinder:

Here is about where it will sit, inside the boom and extending out to the bottom end of the cylinder:

Next I will get the motor mount holes drilled, and also need to make up the final shaft stubs for the clevises on the cylinder ends (been using some temp bits that happened to fit out of the scrab bin). Then I can wire it up to the speed control/radio and give it a real test. If all goes well, will get the other cylinders/motors installed.