View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 777 HAUL TRUCK (1/12 size)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
The pics of the steering are deceiving...I didn't have the tie rod lengths set up properly when I took the pics.... one side is longer(oops), which means the steeing arms are not parallel to each other or the frame when pointed straight. I think I know what you mean about the steering geometry when turning the inide tires always have a smaller turning radius which is why the inside front tire need to turn at a sharper angle than the outside tire...this is also the reason why a differential is needed....

Best part of being on here is learning from others...thanks for the input!!

Here is a screen shot of what I used to set up the steering on the truck at full lock....maybe I did this wrong??

That CAD drawing of the truck turning is exactly what you want. Perfect, in fact! I think the problem is your steering drag links do not travel equally, nor in a parallel / linear fashion, if that makes sense. Take a look at this picture.

Because your center steering arm swings in a substantial arc, the drag links do not maintain much parallelism with each other. With the wheels turned to the left, the more steering throw you add, the more out of parallel the right side link becomes. The result is the right link pushes the right knuckle more than the left link pulls the left knuckle. The knuckle on the right is at a greater angle, which is exactly the opposite effect you are after. Does that make sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree?