View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just Another Peterbilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I just got a set of these axles last week. The housings are very nice! I could be wrong but they also appear to have a slightly lower gear ratio too. The suspension I got with my set uses plastic end links on the rear and they look a little flimsy compared to yours. Are you going to hook up the lockers? I was thinking since I only run on dirt that I may just "wire" them in the lock position on the rear and either leave the front open or maybe hook a servo to it to lock it when going straight. I've never used a driven front axle before so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Hello Reg,

My Wedioc Peterbilt has Scale Art 3:1 locking diffs and is 8X8, I have never locked those diffs or set up a servo to do it as the trucks doesn't get run much and has never left the house. This truck will probably end up with much the same life. I do think the driven front axle is probably better than locking the rears anyways.

As for the rear suspension kit, there are a lot of leaf kits to choose from now a days. I chose this one because of the way the top links mount ti the diffs but when I assembled it I realized I like it for much more than just that. The bolsters are very strong and heavy looking and there is a nice rear H section that replaces that goofy looking member Tamiya uses but what really got my attention was each link has a pin that goes through the ball socket, each pin has two holes in it that get bolted (anchored) down. On my Wedico with Scale Art suspension a simple screw is used instead of the pin. Seems more sloppy to me and thing tend to work loose on that kit. Also yes, these links are all metal no plastic ends, same with my Scale Art kits.

This is what I'm talking about....

VS. this....

Last edited by Claus; 04-01-2018 at 11:27 AM.