View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MFC-01 Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelPlate View Post
Another question:

Do you know if the switch on the control box truly disconnects the battery? Seems it doesn't because if you turn it off while running it goes through a power down engine shut off sequence. Can you leave the battery connected to the MFC at all times I guess is what I'd really like to know or is there a current drain?
The MFC does have a 'shut-down' sequence but my understanding is that this is controlled by the software and that once the red light by the power switch is goes out (it stays on during the shut-down), then the model is off and there is no further power drain on the battery.

You shouldn't leave the battery connected in any model for an extended period without use....strictly you should remove the battery once you've finished using it, even for short periods. Best case, if the battery remains connected I believe the terminals can pick up moisture and corrode (over a very long time though), worst case some batteries have been known to cause fire which damages the model and is a risk to other people/ property. Certainly, you should never charge a battery when it is still in the model. However, I have occasionally left my battery connected for a few days at a time (by mistake) and have still found good charge in it that period....indicates to me that there is no apparent current drain once the MFC is off. Although the only real way to check is to test the theory with some good quality measuring equipment....