View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default 6x6 Advice Needed!

Hey folks,

I'm about to buy my first semi truck and I'm really excited about it! But I plan to make it a 6x6 and have some questions that I'm hoping you all can help me with.

First of all, what axle do most people use up front? I suppose TLTs are the best choice, but I sold all mine off years ago. What are some good options nowadays? Are any a direct bolt-on to the stock leaf springs?

What are the options to create 4WD? I saw on a few youtube videos that the output shaft of the Tamiya trans can be lengthened and it'll just stick out the front of the transmission housing where a driveshaft can be added. I can weld/fabricate, but that will also mean the transmission will need to move rearward on the frame, which I assume could cause interference with the body. Are certain body types better or worse for this type of mod?

I suppose an RC4WD Disruptor t-case would be a decent option. Any others common in the semi truck world that won't totally break the bank?

I've got plenty more questions, but I figured this would be a good starting point!

Thanks, everyone!
Tommy