View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 11:02 AM

trewq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tamiya bolt on reduction gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I just got a couple of these in the mail! I have to say that I am not that experienced with 3d printing but this is by far a much better print quality than stuff I have worked with in the past. My logo on the back of the cases was also a cool thing to see as it wasn't expected. I am excited to be a test dummy for these!

I'm jealous now. I haven't got my own logo on the reduction unit...

Just a tip for the prop shafts, make a beefy one as your torque will be more than 6 times greater now. Here is what has happened to my mid drive shaft after ~15 battery packs, most of the time full loaded truck;

I think that the pin has pulled out of the one ear slowly and I never bothered to check the drive train for this kind of issues.
Once you install your reduction gear you should be very careful if you are shifting gears on the move and with load. I have stripped the third gear cause I was full speed in second and then I decided to shift higher (off throttle, but with lots of speed). The third gear is broken now
After that incident I started to shift gears only when stopped and the gearbox unloaded, like if you are on a steep climb and loaded - not the best idea to shift gears then.

The cool thing is that in first gear, you can crawl everywhere with a loaded truck. Like a trailer crawler ha ha ha
There is no problem climbing uphill very steep roads. The only problem is if you wanna go down hill the same way, as the original Tamiya axles are running opened diffs, as soon as you loose traction on one wheel the other one lets go and I ended up having my ~30kg loaded rig going down like crazy. I broke few things too. I reckon I'll wait for Doggy to design and build the remote locker for Tamiya axles and that should solve the problem going downhill.

Enjoy your mods and let us know how you like the truck equipped with these.