View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 12:45 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LINN Model DD-15 "HafTrak" Dump (1/14)

I'm still trying to wrap (pun intended) my head around the suspension. You're doing amazing work! I'm half-way (again, pun intended) doing a WWII half-track, and they pose a unique set of challenges.

I cheated and used a set of tracks from a robot kit (they're so cheap on Amazon/Fleabay it wasn't worth printing, and they're scaled pretty close), but otherwise not dissimilar to what you're doing. I think the track length is greater on those than on yours, so the suspension with its volute springs pushing on the bogies is simpler. Or at least better documented, lots of books about military stuff vs not so much for civvy.

The other pain I faced was that the front axle is driven, but the effective tire diameter of the track is much greater than the front tires (like 2.5x), so I couldn't use the same motor to drive the front axle as the tracks.

Oh, and it looks like you 3D printed the front leaf springs. Did you do them as one pack? I've done that for a coupla builds, with sufficient CAD work they *look* right, but I keep meaning to try printing individual leaves out of nylon and see if they are stronger / more accurate looking.

Anyway, wow, that's beautiful detail work, especially for parts that won't always be seen. I'll also be following with interest.

-- A