View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

Well after looking into all the possibilities I ordered more sprockets to fit the 1/4" shaft for the motors in use. I was investigating the broken sprocket and it's a type of cast/forged metal, very porous in the break area. I can't tell for sure but it looked as if had some stress crack elsewhere. It may have been weak to start with. I don't know if it would have made a difference with the other set screw installed. To me it looked like it rotated a bit then after the set screw slid to the end of the flat spot on shaft it put a bit of an oblong force to it creating the break. And broke at the weakest point (where the second set screw should have been. And I also ordered a pair of 10 and 11 tooth sprockets with 1/4" shaft to keep everything how I originally built it. Not messing with voltages as it is running fine how it is. I just want a bit more speed for long backing up passes.

Operating it is just as much a learning curve as building. Something could have gotten lodged in tack also. I know when I'm on full size machines I'm always looking out for things that could cause damage. You know like not having your wife crank the power stearing on a road you are building with a machine that has just dumped shale on. Yup, sliced the **** out of the tires. but she was dropping my lunch off) lol!! McMaster -Carr has them and I ordered tonight so I will have them Tuesday. As long as I order before 3 I have parts next day, except Sunday. I guess warehouse is close.

After running for about 45 min should I change the oil to get rid of any contaminates from the building process? And I had some dark oil come out of cylinders when I took them apart while mocking up. I thing the polish compound had some on shafts and cylinders resulting in that. I am using hydralic oil so it's basically unlimited source for this little machine. 5 gallon should last a couple years .