View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD Dump Truck - Take II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Your way of machining the grooves is not wrong. Just another way of doing it. I normally use WD40 or a cutting/tapping fluid for coolant. Never thought about using alcohol. Would not be as messy!!
Yes, the alcohol works very well. The mess evaporates and so it doesn't leave a residue that effects paint or powder coat. I owe my father in-law for that bit of knowledge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
That's an intresting way to make wheels. Read the tread twice but could not find how you made those oval holes. How did you fasten the discs to the tubing??
Didn't realy follow why it was not possible to turning them in lahte. The grooves could be done before pressing the disc inside, that way you will not ruin the hole wheel, just a thought
Dan
The oval holes are made with a custom ground two flute end mill. Nothing fancy. The centers are pressed in tight and the lip I leave on them holds them straight. With the rear duals being one piece they are very strong just the way they are but once powder coating has been applied they should stay put for sure. Like I said before, I think it is my tooling or setup in the lathe that just doesn't work well causing it to gall and make a mess. I used a couple of different parting tools to do the job and they did work but you have to go very slow. I made the grooves in the wheels for my KW on the lathe and it took forever. I also destroyed one when it galled up and collapsed it in the chuck. I learned the hard way that it is better to press in the centers first before you machine the grooves. The centers are quite hard to press in and you run the risk of ruining the outer bead on the rim.