View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 08:14 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish 3D printed DOT "Construction Ahead" sign display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabco View Post
If you are in the US and want to make accurately scaled traffic control signs, cones, barriers or what not; go to

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/

and you can download the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or MUTCD for short. This is the US standard for everything to do with traffic control. Part 6 covers all construction related signs and devices.
Ooh. I'm nerdy enough that I'm gonna do that ... for complicated reasons, I once spent an afternoon reading the state vehicle code as relating to whether doors are required on vehicles. Short answer is: no, as long as you don't make the officer angry enough to dig through the VC =))

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmckee54 View Post
dremu:

Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me into trying an LCD project.

I'm working on a gag gift for the HR director where I work. I've been giving her a boatload of crap since the day she started, and this is just more of the same. Depending on the mood she's in I either call her the HR Goddess, or the HR Dragon.

Inspired by your screen I'm working on an Arduino driven LCD touchscreen that, depending on the mood she's in and which option she selects, will randomly select from 10 HR Goddess answers, or randomly select from 10 HR Dragon answers. OR, it will randomly select from ALL the answers - HR Goddess answers, HR Dragon answers, and several non-comittal but generaly smart-aleck answers.

Thanks for the inspiration, I don't think I would have ever tried a project like this if I hadn't seen this thread.

Don
Must be a small company. Until recently I've been working for giant corporations with mandatory annual HR/harassment trainings and a total lack of sense of humour.

Years ago, at a smaller company, I did up a PC to sit in my office window running Berkeley System's screensaver (they did the flying toasters, which dates this.) Anyway, they had a module that would draw a random graph or pie chart or whatever with random captions. You fed in a dictionary of words, like "Global Temperature vs Piracy" and it would give you something like this

(that example is obvi much more recent, but you get the idea.)

and then every so often it would switch to whatever other random nonsense. I vaguely recall adding one that said, for no particularly good reason, "I am the Great One-Eyed Ball of Appealer", and people just accepted that I had a screen in my window showing that. Not sure if that says anything good about me or not =))

-- A