Thread: Endmills
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Endmills

Thanks to everyone for the good advice ..I think this Thread will be helpfull to others that are getting into machining Manual or CNC ..
looking at some of the prices it looks like I will do much better and going to give the carbide a go..
Nathan You must be doing something right ..Good on ya with keeping those bits sharp ..So far I have dulled about a half dozen..I guess finding that sweet spot by manual milling is a bit easyer ..more feel to it..If i remember i only broke 1 when I had my 3 in 1 manual mill .When I first started cnc I broke some experimenting with feed speed ..Really important to keep the chips clear when sloting as well
I am using WD 40 and rapid tap for cutting oil and that seems to be working ok ..Is there something out there thats better recommended for alumminum ?...
The material I have been cutting I find at the recycle depot for about $2 a pound ..I have noticed thats there has been some that dont cut well and gum up..need lots of lubricant and slower speeds .. One thing is for sure is i am having alot of fun with this CNC thing .