View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD Dump Truck - Take II

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Way to go Reg! Soon you will be making everything!
Cheers, Neil.
Thanks Neil. I think I am nearly at that point or at least I was with my 850KW. Sometimes it just isn't worth the time to build all your own parts and other times it is. I guess that is determined by the time available and the uniqueness of the parts needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
I'm amazed thanks mike
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Reg,

Very cool! Any tricks to making the matching dies? Do you just turn the second one to match the dimensions of the first, less the amount of allowance for the stock to be stamped?

And, would you mind posting a picture of the modified end mill you use to make the oval holes? I'm not sure I understand how you are doing that.

Thanks for all the info!

Jim
Hey Jim, I just machined the dies to be close by eye. I squished out a couple of test pieces and then made some mods. Tried it again and it was good enough I thought. I will post a picture of the endmill later. I just rounded the corners on a regular cutter. Nothing special at all just some trial and error to get the right cut for the oval hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskybilt View Post
Reg

You might try a little cutting lube or cool mist to keep the heat down on your tooling. Sometimes just step in and out also. The heat and friction is causing the gaulding. The truck is looking great. Did you press stamp the center part of the wheel or spin form it?
I use alcohol now and it works very well. No mess as it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue... It also makes me feel like I'm doing a better job when I'm half cut.lol Just kidding.