View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 PM

Prop Shaft is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Capo 1:8 Jeep CD15823

Bit of an update. Haven't had a lot of time to put into the build lately, but Ive managed a bit. Exhaust is all buttoned up and I couldn't be happier with it. This was the inspiration.

I used some exhaust parts from the 1:8 static because they were the same diameter as the styrene tube I had and made making the first bends really easy. Almost like cheating lol. I used earth magnets to hold the pipes to the manifolds because theres so much going on with engine, servos, motors etc, and want to be able to take it out if needed, with as little hassle as possible.

Had to fill some areas of the 1:8 model parts.

Made a muffler out the handle from my wife's busted flat iron. Shhhh.

Then I started the fun part. Making the bends in the tubing. I tried using different methods of heat, but wasn't having much luck. So I just chopped up pieces for the bends and went the sand/filler route.

Made a faux flange and used magnets to hold the 2 sections together.

A bit of paint.

And installed. Used a screw into the top of the muffler to mount it

For the rear I bent up some aluminum bar and stuck it through a grommet I put into a now not used steering cable hole. A bit like a real hanger.

Ive decided not to bother with inner fenders up front, why cover up such a nice engine/exhaust? Plus Ive seen some 1:1 Jeeps that have the front all exposed so its still scale to me. Lol

Next up is to cover the holes in the floor where the transfer case is poking through. As well as make a tunnel for the hole where the drive shaft is.

Ill try and get it something close to the 1:1