View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help with a bandsaw

If you're cutting aluminum you can use regular carbon steel blades (raker flex back). Just watch the Surface Feet Per Minute. I've been using them to cut aluminum extrusions for 30yrs because their way cheaper than the good ones and they both last about the same for wht I'm doing. I run them on a wood cutting Powermatic bandsaw size: 3/4x6tpi Raker Flexback. On my Delta 14'' saws I use a narrower blade: 3/8''x.032 x 10tpi Raker. I get good results with them until the metal work hardens from the Anodized finish but that doesn't pertain to our hobby. You can cut thin steel with a carbon blade just run slower but it won't last very long. But for steel use a Bi-metal blade.I have a Lennox Diemaster on one of my big Powermatic bandsaws. I've had it on there for years! One of the best bandsaw blades I've ever used. I think it is a "Wavey Set" 18TPI I've used it to cut steel up to 2'' thick in past and down to 16ga. Works for brass too. I keep it around 110fpm on steel. Some blades obviously cant be used on a home shop bandsaw but if you can find a saw shop nearby,they can make up the blade you desire any length.
Here is a link to their site. Check out the blade selector too:
http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/Cate...egory=Bi-Metal