View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

I also found some bolts loosened up. Probably settling in the paint, have to go and check all of them, mostly on the carrier wheels. And somewhere I read not to use bearings on tracks. That made sense to me but I thought I could get by with small bearings inside the wheels. Possibly too small, they are 5/16 od , 3/16 id. They have been compromised. So I just ordered some bushings from McMaster. Bronze bushings with stainless or brass shafts should hold up well I think. I'm realizing that there is a lot of stress on the tracks.

9w, on the tracks it seams like taking some more material off the lip of the shoes has done the trick on the dirt packing I between shoes. Having just enough room to have dirt be able to escape and not being packed in. But the river dirt is a sand and silt type, that may pack in there as it is kinda like clay. And as long as I'm not turning sharp in the loam to where dirt covers the track links I haven't had that problem of the dirt packing into the links covering the track pins then having the sprocket compress even more resulting in slippage. I think I'm on the downward side of getting the little things fixed to make this a pretty reliable machine. The wife couldn't believe I leveled all the dirt out with that little toy I built!! Oh and still on the opinion I'm not going to make that into a man size sandbox,, more time and she will eventually give up or in