View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 05:48 PM

trewq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tamiya bolt on reduction gear

Just a quick update.
So far shifting servo is not an issue. Partly due to fantastic functions on my spectrum radio where I have reduced servo speed on the throttle channel to a very low percentage, so that the throttle does not go to 100% instantly. It takes a slow ramp up.
The result is a scale looking motion of the truck and a reduced motor/esc/battery load on the take off and breaking.

So, to get back to my third gear issue;
- when taking off with no cargo the third gear acts the same way as when the truck is loaded. I'd reckon that the engagement of the dogs for the third gear are not latching fully, and the same are damaged as well.
In this situation (due to my throttle signal conditioning) the load on the ESC'a BEC is not a problem. The voltage is being held stable.

Now, to touch the AWD GRU and the powered front axle;
- plastic front axle has proven the concept of simple add on FWD. it does make a world of change, and it certainly would be a game changer on my 6x4 Scania R620.
- my choice would always be a full metal axle.
- the 3 speed Tamiya gearbox does seem to be the weakest link on the AWD equipped unit. Mostly due to added load of the FWD, but that should not be a problem when all metal parts are used (metal AWD GRU, metal Front Axle, proper telescopic props hafts (not like the **** I've been making for the test purpose).
- the all opened differential truck with AWD does not get stuck easy. Totally feels like a crawler in an way. Really AWSOME fun to drive this thing around, if only it had a radio that could've been set up like my spectrum to limit the throttle and a steering speeds in order to make things look and feel real...
- the Tamiya steering system is even bigger **** with AWD. I am a strong believer that the hydraulic steering is a must(!) and I'll see if I can convince Doggy to add the hydraulic cylinder in the design files. I'll do the rest of R&D fabrication for this.