View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD Dump Truck - Take II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
Man all these details are killing it! The tanks and strap brackets look bloody great!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
Brass is really great material to do small details. And when you have a killer alu body like this, you cant result with less than a masterpiece!

If you hit you bumper to a rock, will it bend like the real one? That was my idea, to press form alu panels over milled body to get thin alu panels that will be damaged like the real thing when driving. It was more od 1/10 trail hilux idea, than 1/14, but I think it would be cool.
I don't think this bumper will dent easily. It's 063 5052 so it's strong.lol I have thought about building a dump bed for myself that is soft though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Reg your truck and parts are looking great as always! Do you form your own small brass angle or do you have a source to buy it from?
Thanks! Angle is home brew. I just sheared and bent it. Not as crisp of an edge as I would like but it will do. Like I said before, I've never worked with brass sheet before. So far it seems pretty good. When I made other parts out of copper sheet it was more difficult. The brass shears and bends and solders nicely. It also takes more heat than the copper before it goes soft. Not too many more parts will be brass on this but there might be the odd thing. Mostly aluminum from here on out.