View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 01:24 PM

PetervR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAF torpedo front truck and front steer truck

Hi.
I'll try to anser al those quesions. The first idea to build like this was an accident. I was casting a cab with resin in a silicone mold. And some of it dropped onto some peaces of cardboard. After a few minutes it was set and it was much stronger than the drops of resin that dropped next to the cardboard. So the idea was born. I first atempted to use the 2 component resin. At the " daf 33 small van" post here I used the 2 component resin. The idea worked. But it sets to fast. Also that cardboard I used there was bought. 1mm thick. And not that absorbent. Then my wife wanded me to take the trash out. And I saved some of the stuff I use now from the trash. It's 0,5mm thick. And more absorbent that the cardboard I used first.

Woodglue. Yes, why, no special reason. I even use it as treadlock.for the nuts and bolts.

The specs of the PU lacker I have to look it up. It's a PU that reacts to the air to set. And if i'm right it's also used for yachtdeks.

I apply it with a qtip. And as must as it can take. Up to the point it stays on top. A second coat will stay on top.
The inside is done in a later time. But must not be forgotten.

The 3 layers are for stability during handeling. 1,5mm togetter
Where I need to sand the shape more layers are put on.

I don't wet the cardboard for bending it. I use my nails to bend it into shape. If the fibers of the cardboard get loose. The soke up the lacker even better. So thats not a bad thing.

After the lacker I first use "plastic primer" than primer filler. Like the one I used on my car. Than its time for the car putty. I use a one component. From a dutch brand. When thats set and sanded. I use sprayputty from the same brand. Last sanding with grand 600. And after that car spray paint.
If there are more questions I'll be happy to anser them

Grtz PetervR