View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Wow Reg this truck is incredible! Do you use filler rod all the time on the thin stuff? Years ago I played around with TIG and could fuse weld thin stuff but could never seem to do well when adding filler rod.
Thanks for the drive idea with $10 Walmart screw driver, I've had one on my bench for 2 months in the package to power a screw drive. I finally took it out of the package to see how it did at building a set of frame rails last night. Surprisingly it worked well in its original form.

Keep up the great work you always do! It's fun to watch!

Kent
Haha, I bought two screwdrivers(one has two speeds) not knowing which one would go on to serve another purpose. I ended up using the $10 one because it had a little more rpm. Now I think I will keep the more expensive, 2 speed one for installing screws....until I need it for something else that is

I sue filler rod quite a bit but not always. It really depends on the joint but it always seems to be stronger when I use filler rod even if it gets ground off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
That is a very common statement with Reg's metal work. We all thought it was a shame to paint the 850 also!. It just shows how great his metalwork is. We paint things to hide the raw state. This stuff has nothing to hide, leave it raw!

Mario
If it wasn't for gluing on detail stuff, I was contemplating polishing the cab... I really liked my 850 in it's raw state too but once it was painted it looked like the real deal to me...I even thought I could smell bark chips from the log sort once while looking at it(losing my mind, I know). The Hayes will get some paint. I just haven't decided which logging company colors and logo will be on it. Kind of a shame in a way though because I am proud of my skills with aluminum and most people assume that it is just plastic once painted...

Reg