View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvy 1ton View Post
Is the m3 bolt binding when you try to cycle the suspension? The trailing arm is trying to moving in a radial motion and the bolt is (probably) holding the arm to linear motion. I might be missing something but that's what i'm seeing.
That pic was just to show underside. The axles will not move in a tilting motion, just up n down. The m3 rod was the hard part, bending and taking in the slight arc of the suspension travel. I think I hit on that before, that's what was tricky. Setting the rod in just the right spot before welding. The holes in the aluminum arms were drilled slightly bigger than rod for welding. Using them as sort of a jig for holding. After tacking into place I removed them and hogged them oblong to allow the threads to pass through travel unimpeded. But the springs were intentionally sourced to be strong as I'm planning on 60# plus. But after all the axles were in place the combined spring strength was realized to be a bit too strong. All the foam is doing is hiding the springs, gives no resistance. Another thing I'm trying to figure is weight distribution. I don't want the load to squat front axle and spring last axle. Before welding I'm going to preload the axle part of trailer. Or use different rate springs front to back. Just don't want it to arc and flex belly down and a$$ up that's why this part is kind of a critical area.