View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Marion 5561 Stripping Shovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpusher9 View Post
Build it Steve. You can do it. Shame your not building a Bucyrus shovel, you could get all the info you need from the Big Brutus, almost the same size machine. It is still intacted in the southeast corner of Kansas.
My son Mike and I have been to Brutus in 2006. That shovel is about twice the size of the 5561 Marion. Really cool place to visit. When we were there we met a guy who's grandfather built the Little Giant shovel in the museum. That machine looks to be about 1/12th scale but a smaller dipper in 1:1 than what I want. Brutus would be easier in the driveline department, It used electric motors in each track and had hydraulic steering.
Here are a couple pictures I took of Little Giant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Hey Steve, it's alot nicer looking machine, vs. Bucyrus Erie's 150B with "the doubler"
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cygn..._20111112/#/45
Cheer's, Neil.
I have a lot of drawings and info on the 150B with the standard shovel front. This machine is my second choice of a possible build but I know of one somebody has that was built at Bucyrus-Erie.